Week of 2/17/2020

To start, over this past week I was insanely sick, and I was unable to do a lot of work over the weekend/the beginning of the week. I started off with the simple fiddle~ patch, and decided to try to use sigmund~ instead since it was supposed to be easier to use. Below is the basic sigmund~ patch that I have been working with to collect audio input data. The video shows how I captured the recorded piano through the headset microphone.

With the data that was printed into the command line in pd, I was able to copy/paste this into an excel sheet document for analysis. Below are two screenshots of the overview of the data translated into their respective note values. I wrote a bunch of formulas for excel to categorize each note frequency to designate each note correlation. This is the first step to see the tabular movement of the notes.

Zoomed in view of transcription
Transcription overview

Things to continue to work on:

  • How to get these values inputted straight into a table/file
    • In real time?
  • How to get the duration of notes
  • More sigmund~ parameters
    • Round to the nearest frequency value for easier note transcription

Problems I ran into:

  • Am I going in the right direction/what should my next steps be?

Week of 2/10/2020

,원• 1“0 input *0

Using this patch, I was able to generate frequencies in the log. I then was able to extract the numerical values and place in excel spreadsheet.

I took a video first with recording this data with a headset microphone to document the data.

Things to continue to work on:

  • Why are numbers between ~40 and 100?
  • How to get these values inputted into a table/print to a file?
    • How to then input them in real time
  • How to convert these numerical values into note Letters
  • How to get duration of notes, not just when a not changes
  • Now figure out how to vary the parameters in the fiddle~ patch to get the output that I want

Problems I ran into :

  • My computer crashed when I tried to run the starter fiddle~ patch

Week of 2/3/2020

An additional paper on audio transcription:


Weekly Progress:

  • Re-downloaded Pd since my computer did not like the old version it was running before.
  • Becoming re-familiar with the Pd interface and mapping out the project
  • I want to first make sure I can get the audio input into text, and then figure out how to make it look like a musical score and look good in the end
    • Pd for audio to text using fiddle~ or sigmund~
    • Lilypong for score transcription? (Lilypond won’t download on my computer)
  • Began to start writing a Pd patch to understand the fiddle~ function
    • First patch to just take in frequency values
    • Second patch draft to amplify input frequency

Project Idea 1/22/20

As I play trumpet and piano, an idea I had was to be able to play these instruments and self-generate sheet music. I like to write music, and I tend to play around on the piano and then forget what I had previously played. There’s something that takes an electronic piano and records the duration of each note played, and then converts this to a note-score. I want to turn this into playing the trumpet and/or any other instrument and record the frequencies and their duration, recording this in a step-wise score, and finally converting this to sheet music in real-time, rather than recording the audio first and transcribing afterwards.

Below are some articles that I believe have relevance to this project idea:

Frequency Detection:


Frequency Accuracy:


Music Transcriptions: